Photo of the legal professionals at Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC

Combining Passionate And Aggressive Advocacy With Sharp Legal Strategy Honed Through Decades Of Experience

Do You Need To Make Changes To A Court Order?

Life never stays the same for long. It’s full of change. In some cases, these changes are minor and barely noticeable, but in other cases, they have a dramatic impact.

If life circumstances have significantly shifted since your court order was issued, you may be eligible to modify it. Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC, can help. From our office in Everett, our attorneys handle modifications and other family law matters throughout Snohomish, Skagit and King counties.

Modifying Child Support Orders

Various circumstances can make it possible to adjust child support payments. For instance, you may be able to file a simple “motion for adjustment of child support” if the original order was issued more than two years ago and parental incomes have changed.

Even if you don’t meet the exact requirements for filing a motion for adjustment, you may still be able to change child support payments through a “petition to modify child support.” You can file such a petition in the following situations, among others:

  • At least a year has passed since the order was entered, and it now causes you extreme financial hardship.
  • At least a year has passed since the order was entered, but it was entered by default.
  • A substantial change in circumstances has occurred for you, the other parent or your child. (Examples include getting fired from your job, contracting a disease that prevents you from working, etc.)

Modifying Parenting Plans

Experts tend to agree that children do best with routines. For this reason, Washington judges will not change custody orders and parenting plans without adequate cause.

Any kind of adjustment must be in the child’s best interests. In addition, to make a major modification, both parents must either agree to the change or be able to prove a significant change in circumstances such as:

  • The other parent has been incarcerated.
  • The other parent has developed a drug dependency problem.
  • The other parent has abused or neglected your child.
  • The other parent has repeatedly failed to comply with the current court-ordered plan or custody arrangement.

Let us represent you at your modification hearing and explain your situation to the judge. We can aggressively advocate for you and your child.

Learn More By Contacting Us

Learn more about how to modify a court order by arranging an initial consultation with one of our lawyers. Call Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC, at 425-312-1870 or send us an email today.