Photo of the legal professionals at Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC

Combining Passionate And Aggressive Advocacy With Sharp Legal Strategy Honed Through Decades Of Experience

Helping You Establish Paternity

When a child is born to a married couple, the husband is automatically presumed to be the father. However, when a child is born to an unmarried couple, paternity must be legally established.

Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC, is a relentless champion for the rights of mothers, fathers and other parties throughout Washington. The lawyers at our Everett firm have decades of combined experience representing clients in Snohomish County, King County, Skagit County and beyond. Let us stand up for you as well.

If you are interested in legally establishing paternity in this state, you have two options:

1. Sign a voluntary acknowledgment. The father and mother can both sign an affidavit and file it with the court, agreeing that the child in question is his.

2. Obtain a court order. If there is doubt or a dispute about who the biological father is, the court can order DNA testing.

In either case, our attorneys are ready to guide you through the process and assist you at every step.

Why Bother To Establish Paternity?

For unmarried mothers, establishing paternity is vital to obtaining child support payments and ensuring that the child can inherit property from his or her father. For unmarried fathers, establishing paternity is equally critical to gain parental rights such as the right to have scheduled time with the child.

Whether you are the mother or father, you can count on our firm to be your advocate and protect your interests through the process.

Advocating For Grandparents And Other Third Parties

At Canfield Madow Law Group, PLLC, we also represent grandparents, aunts and uncles, and other parties who wish to gain custody or visitation time. This area of the law is complex, but we understand the nuances and stand ready to aggressively pursue your goals.

We invite you to set up an initial consultation with us by calling 425-312-1870 or by contacting us online.